Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Some Like It Sweet




Dear ones,
I LOVE zucchini bread. A dear friend (now deceased) gifted me with a cookbook from, "The Angel of the Sea", a bed and breakfast in Cape May, New Jersey. I've tried other recipes in the cookbook and I really liked them. (One is my go to recipe for spinach quiche.) After spending an inordinate and messy time hand grating zucchini I put the loaf in the oven and waited for the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg to fragrance my home. It did. Now comes the sad part. The bottom part of the loaf stuck to the pan. My sister-in-law says to always REALLY grease the pan. I guess she's right. Secondly, it wasn't sweet enough. The recipe called for only 1/2 cup sugar and I had my doubts. Unfortunately, I was right. The sad, little, crumbly, non sweet bread I worked so hard on was wrapped in plastic in the refrigerator. I had looked forward to a yummy slice of tea bread and cup of coffee and was very disappointed. Plus, I only have so much energy and I had spent so much on this project. Then I thought of honey! I took 3 tablespoons of softened butter and mixed it with 4 tablespoons of honey and stirred. It looked pale yellow and luscious. A small piece of my disappointment covered with honey butter transformed a "meh" into a "yeah!".
Lesson for today: Butter and Honey, it can't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment